Thursday, March 7, 2013

J'ai laissé mon coeur au Sénégal

The title of this entry definitely speaks for itself.  "J'ai laissé mon coeur au Sénégal" or " I left my heart in Senegal".  I am completely overwhelmed with all sorts of emotions as I sit here and process the amazing time we had in Senegal.  The country is incredible, and the people we encountered are some of the most beautiful people I have ever met. 

Seeing God work over there was beyong anything I could have ever anticipated.  It is so easy, when going on a missions trip, to have the expectation that as a team we are going to 'help' or 'save' these people.  I was definitely convicted, and reminded, that we can't and won't save them.  We are called to love them because He first loved us.  We are called to be HIS hands and feet, and to be a vessel for HIS work.  The Lord quickly humbled me and I took a step back and watched Him work.  It was a beautiful thing.   I am sitting here, with my heart overflowing, trying to put in to words what was experienced there, and all of the things The Lord opened my eyes to. 

We were able to serve the Talibe boys for a day. Letting them take a shower, feeding them, giving them their vaccines, and even cleaning out and bandaging up any wounds they had. It was a day for them to escape the chaos of their every day lives and just be little boys. This day was extra special.  Even if just for a moment, we had the wonderful opportunity to look them in the eyes, smile at them, and let them know that they are loved and they are beautiful. 


Doing wound care

After Talibe day we drove from Dakar to Thies to stay the night before heading in to Baback.  Our time in the village was something we all had been looking forward to for months, and it surely did not disappoint.  We were welcomed with open arms and huge smiles.  They immediately treated us like family, and were so thankful and excited that we were there with them.  On Sunday morning we were able to worship with our brothers and sisters.   We were able to visit families, give gifts of love, and spend time building relationships and discussing the struggles and joys of our lives as brothers and sisters in Christ.

We were also able to help MIS with a kids club.  Hundreds of children gathered in the school yard, sang songs, danced, played games, and even heard the Gospel in their language, through the wordless book.  Darla did an incredible job sharing the Gospel with those kids.


some of the kids at kids club


Our time with the young women in the village


One of the most rewarding and encouraging moments of the trip was the time a few of us young women were able to spend with the young women in the village.  These girls are a light in their village.  They are the next generation of the church, and it was incredible being able to see their hearts for Christ and their hearts for their village.  They are regular young girls who struggle with the same things we struggle with here.  It was encouraging to see how devoted they were to being an example of Christ's love in their village.  They spend their Sundays in the church reading their Bibles and fellowshipping with one another.   Our time with them was so sweet and genuine.  They continued to come back daily, sometimes multiple times a day, just to spend time with us.  I think I can speak for all of us, that the amount of love we have for these girls is indescribable.   It is so awesome to think that one day we will be able to rejoice together in Heaven, all speaking one language.

Sometimes we forget how big God is.  I was constantly reminded that the God we were serving in Senegal is the same God we need to be serving here in the United States.  I pray that we continue to worship and love him in our every day, busy lives, the way we did in Senegal.  God has only just begun the work he is going to do over there, and I am so excited to see what else he is going to do. I am already looking forward to next year and the opportunity to continue to build on these relationships and see how much He has done in a year.  Join with me in prayer for the village as well as, then entire country of Senegal.  There may be an opportunity for us to partner with a different village, so pray for MIS as they continue to plant seeds and spread the good news!

Thank you so much for all of your prayer and support during the time leading up to the trip, as well as while we were away.  I am blessed beyond measure to have been able to experience the things I did in Senegal, and he continues to bless me and open my eyes to the plans he has for the future.  And his plans are far more than I could ever imagine. God is SO good!

" 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plants to give you a hope and a future.' " Jeremiah 29:11



with my namesake

Sunset in the village

Precious moments

True Beauty




No comments:

Post a Comment